Problems with Preview

Hello! I’m a bit new at Axure, but have been working on a pretty complicated and detailed project. The project is for a mobile application and due to the need for multiple repeaters that are shared across may dynamic panels, I have had to create a single page application. The problem is, when I preview it, it appears I have researched a limit on what it will do. I have 2 cases needed on an OnTextChanged action. Both cases work when independently of each other, but as soon as I add them together, one or both do not work. It seems that the preview is confused and doesn’t know what to do. I’ve attempted adding wait times, but nothing seems to get it to work consistently. Is there anything I can do? Thanks in advance!

Hmm, it sounds like you have multiple cases on a single event (OnTextChange) but only one fires in the browser. To clarify the setup, do you have conditional logic on these cases? If so, is one set to “If True” and one set to “Else if True”? If so, then only one case would fire in this situation; if the first case is true, then the second won’t fire, and the second will only fire if the first case is false.

If you’re using conditions and want both cases to fire, then you’ll want to make sure that both are set to “If” rather than having one set as “Else If”.

https://www.axure.com/support/reference/conditional-logic#"if"_and_"else_if"_statements

If you have no conditional logic on your cases, then the browser won’t know which case to fire when the case is triggered; in this case, the browser will usually pop up little buttons with the case numbers (e.g. “Case 1”, “Case 2”) and make the user choose one. Is this what you’re seeing?

Feel free to attach your file and point out the area where the interaction isn’t working if the above doesn’t help so that we can take a look. :slight_smile:

Hi Alyssa! Thank you for the reply. Everything is set up with if statements. In general, this is what I am doing. I have an accordion on 2 different panels where a new row is added to them based on the room and dates that are added. When the accordion is expanded, the user can enter details into the text fields. The idea is that the values that are entered in the text field update the row for the repeater I’m on and the other repeater so it is showing data being saved and accessible in both accordions. I am marking rows that met specific requirements OnClick of the accordion headers (so I know which date and room I need to update) and then using OnTextChange in each text field to update the marked rows in the repeaters. I am using if statements when updating the rows. Since this is in current development and there is competition out there, is to possible to email you the rp file instead of attaching it here?

I think the problem may be the result of a similar post made today by someone trying to optimize the performance of their project. I do believe I have a lot going on as far as the number of widgets, etc… especially within the repeaters I am working with.

Ahh, so it sounds like you’re possibly seeing lag, rather than cases not firing as expected? From your description, it sounds like the repeaters are both updating frequently, since the OnTextChange event in the text fields is updating both; if both repeaters are fairly sizable, then there could be a delay as they both try to redraw themselves as the user is typing.

If you’re able to send over your file to support@axure.com then we can take a look at what’s going on with the interaction and advise. :slight_smile:

For those of you following along at home, elbow30 was able to email in their file, where we determined that the issue they were running into was most likely coming down to the large number of widget groups, dynamic panels, and repeaters on their prototype page. In terms of optimization, we typically recommend shooting for a total widget count of 500 or fewer, with 40 or fewer dynamic panels (and 100 or fewer total panel states) per page. It’ll help to be particularly mindful of any tables, repeaters, or dynamic panels, as each item within these types of widgets would add to the overall widget count as well.

If you’re interested, some additional technical information from our dev team (and some other useful suggestions regarding prototype performance) can be found here:

I hope this helps!

unlisted #7