6 Steps to get Font Awesome 5 Pro + Axure 9 working

Actually I found out a simpler way to show Font Awesome 5 icons on axshare.

Steps:

1. Go on Font Awesome 5 website and create a kit (Home > Start using > Create your own kit)
  2. Copy the generated script
  3. Log in your axshare/axure cloud account > select options on the prototype you’re working on (three dots, if you use axure cloud) > select “Plugins”
  4. Click on “Add plugin” and paste the script you copied in the field. Make sure the code is be placed “Inside <head></head>”.
  5. Save.

You won’t need any mapping, just the unicode characters :slight_smile:

Hope it’s helpful!

Woah - I can totally see how that would work, I’ll give it a shot this week and report back. In the meantime, thanks so much for sharing - if this ends up being the kind of silver bullet it sounds like it might be, I’ll probably revise the original post or make a new one officially updating the recommended steps. Very cool.

Hi Erik
Thank you so much for this guide. I have used it to create a simplified version for FontAwesome 5.11.2 FREE.

Best regards, Marianne

Hello @axure-user-1 - welcome to the forum, and congrats on your first post!

If you’re open to a bit of constructive feedback on your first post, I have something for you. Generally speaking, when you’re posting to a forum and asking for help, the single most important thing you can do is describe the exact problem you’re experiencing, in excruciating detail, especially the part where you include screenshots of the problem, and exact steps someone else would require to reproduce what you’re seeing. In general, reproducability is the single most important part of getting help - otherwise, the response is usually shrug, deafening silence, or worse, getting flamed.

So, with that in mind, give your post above another read, and see what opportunities for improvement there might be. :slight_smile:

Hi everyone,

I’ve tried hard to follow the instructions diligently to make Font Awesome works with Axure yet to succeed. I used one .css url for all Font Awesome fonts as @Justin_Axure suggested and skipped Step 6: Add Font Mappings.

Has anyone lately followed the instructions and got FontAwesome + Axure 9 working? Did you do anything differently than the instructions in this thread?

Thanks,
Julia

In case anyone makes it this far down the thread I wanted to add one thing that prevented this from working for me.

I would copy a glyph from “Solid” category from the Font Awesome website and paste it onto the canvas. By default it would show up as a little box in Axure until I changed the font to Font Awesome and then it looked fine. But when I publishedto Axshare it would continue to show the box. But I noticed that some of the icons were working and realized those were from the “Regular” Font Awesome category.

Once I realized I had to actually select the “Solid” style from the Style drop-down in Axure all the other icons started working fine.

Maybe I just picked the wrong arrow icon to start with but this was super confusing.

I had to reinstall Axure on a new PC and decided to try using the latest Font Awesome fonts. I spent a couple of hours trying different methods in the post. The only thing that ended up working for me was the plugin from @gabrielemaffoni 's post. Ironically it’s the fastest one to install too, so I wish I started from it. Hope this may save time for someone.

I am sorry to say so but Font Awesome has decided to deprecate the use of CDN, viz.
" this version of Font Awesome’s CDN is being Sunsetted.

You may still use it for any of the domains you’ve set below, but _we will not be bringing new features to this service . Instead, we’re using Font Awesome Kits host and do even more for you with auto-accessibility, better performance, updates without touching code, and more!"_

so if you follow these instructions and go to the ‘start’ url, you will see a dialog to create a KIT, which is in effect a smarter CDN, since it only includes what your code uses in the download. I am in the process of trying to figure out exactly how to do this in RP9.

The deprecation language still seems to be there. I am not sure FA is really aware of the issue that in fact makes their font package less useful to Axure users.