After Windows 10 1803 update can't start Axure

After the latest Windows 10 1803 update, I was not able to start Axure: black background, some big white rectangles, that’s all. No error messages.
Anyone else had this problem?
Any idea, what to do?

I tried: restarting Windows, reinstalling Axure, installing the next Axure (RC) version. Nothing helped, just a system restore (removing the last Windows update), then I was able to use Axure again.

Now Windows update is stuck at “Awaiting restart” to install 1803 again, that can’t be kept on hold forever…

Hi flux,

Hmm, it sounds like you ran into an issue where Axure RP got into a broken state after installing update 1803 on Windows 10. We’ve done a quick test on a machine on our end but so far it looks like the latest build of Axure RP is running on it without issues. To confirm, it sounds like you tested the latest release candidate, build 3375; is that the only build that had the issue? Was the issue occurring when launching Axure RP on your main display, or was it occurring on an external monitor (if you have one)?

It sounds like you’re not currently getting the rendering issue anymore after rolling back the update, but just in case the error logs persisted, would you mind checking for Windows event logs and Axure RP logs from the day that you experienced the errors and sending those over to support@axure.com?

For the Axure RP logs, those would be located in “C:\Users%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Temp\Axure-8-0\logs”.

For Windows event logs, you’ll want to:

1. Open the Start menu and search for “Event Viewer”.

2. Open the Event Viewer application, and then navigate to “Event Viewer (Local) > Windows Logs > Application” in the left-hand sidebar.

3. Once you’re there, select “Action > Find” and search for “AxureRP8.exe”. Look for any “Error” level entries; when you find one, please save the error log (right-click > “Save Selected Events”) and attach them to your email. If you see any “.NET Runtime” errors that occurred immediately before or after the Axure RP error, please save and attach those error logs via email as well.

If you’re able to find those logs then we’d like to take a look to see if they contain clues about what was happening to Axure RP during the interval when you ran into issues after the update. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Thank you Alyssa!
I had problem with the current stable version, reinstalled current stable version, then I tried to install the RC just to test if it worked.

Your feedback suggested that there is no problem with the 1803 itself, just the way it was installed (got entangled with some previous updates or some more arrogant apps :smiley: mcafee, icloud etc)

I restarted and installed the Win10 update again, and Axure (stable) stopped working again.
The system restore & update messed up a few more things, I was not even able to uninstall or install Axure after that, any normal way (via Axure installer, control panel…).

So, clean slate, Windows reset (I had just a few applications on this machine, so not a big deal), reinstalled all apps, including Axure, it seems to open fine.

Thanks for following up with that info! I’m sorry to hear that you got into a state where Axure RP couldn’t be uninstalled or reinstalled. It sounds like you were able to resolve it, but it does sound like you still see issues with the 1803 Windows 10 update. Over the past week we got a few more similar reports, and it sounds like users who’ve installed that Windows 10 update are specifically seeing issues when using Axure RP on an external monitor that is not set to 100% display; issues range from UI rendering issues to not being able to apply styles or interactions from dropdown menus. Does the setup sound similar to what you’re using? If so, then as workarounds you can either try moving Axure RP to your main display, switching your external monitor to be your primary display, or setting the display of your external monitor to be 100%.

Hopefully those help for now! We’ve got this issue filed on our end and are looking into potential solutions.

I used it on a 13" Win10 laptop, FHD resolution; no external display.

Hmmm… So your setup sounds a bit different from the others, but we’ve had another user report the similar black screen, white boxes issue on a machine that had not external displays. We’re investigating a potential graphics driver update issue for that particular case. For your machine, do you (or after updating Windows 10, did you) have any pending graphics driver updates or additional Windows 10 updates waiting for installation, or are you aware of whether the graphics driver was fully up to date?

As far as the machine’s current settings, is the display at 100%?

It’s not my primary machine :slight_smile:
Currently, as I open Axure, I still see the black & white boxes for a while, but then the proper UI appears.

I tried with display 150% (default) and 100%, manually updated the display driver: no apparent effect (there were no pending automatic driver updates, no pending Win10 updates at the time; since then several updates, no change)

Hmm, so it sounds like as of now you currently have the Windows 1083 update installed, and the odd UI rendering issue goes away on its own a little while after Axure RP launches. Does it take several minutes for it to display properly, or is it more of a flicker of black and white boxes at launch? Is anything else running on the machine in the background at the same time that Axure RP gets launched, like any scanning or security tools? If so, does the issue persist if those other tools are closed or temporarily disabled? Are you seeing it with other apps as well?

Does your machine happen to be custom built or is it a standard build? We’re wondering if there’s anything special or unique about the current machine, which would hopefully help to narrow down the issue, since it sounds like it persists even after all updates are installed. Either way, could you provide more details about the make and model of your machine and monitor, and the graphics driver?

If the issue seems to persist with other background apps disabled, then would you mind sending over Axure logs and Windows event logs? We can take a look at those and see if the system is catching any other clues about what’s causing the issue when you launch RP with the 1083 update installed. Feel free to send 'em over to support@axure.com and link to this thread, if they can’t be attached here. Thanks!

unlisted #10