Can't set global variable after returning from external file load

advanced-prototyping

I am simulating viewing an Adobe .pdf. The UI is a set of 3 panels with images and buttons, that are disabled and dimmed on OnPageLoad. User clicks an “on/select” button on one of three choices. The selected panel lights up with an enabled .pdf icon.

User clicks the .pdf icon, and views the .pdf–and presses the browser back button to return to the page… but the selected panel group is now disabled, same as on the initial page load.

How do I retain the selected state of the panel on return from the .pdf view? I have tried setting a global variable to “ON” OnClick for the .pdf icon… but I’m not getting any evidence that a true page load has occurred upon return from the external file launch.

If I have a global variable “Panel 1 ON” I can easily set the page to load on Condition with the selected panel remaining selected.

For testing I set a basic text field and tried punching in the new global variable value OnClick for the .pdf icon. The .pdf button/icon loads the .pdf file with no problem… when I press the browser back button, the variable value is not updated… like nothing happened. I’m not seeing any evidence that a page load/refresh has occured.

Note, I have passed around global variables between pages in a project, retaining logins, selection states, etc. with no problems (well sometimes a few problems). This is first time I’ve tried global variables for an external file.

I may be doing something stupid, and I’m not a newbie, but I would appreciate help with this issue.

Thanks!

Hi Tedrich,

I have to say that this is interesting case for me as well. I never run into such scenario as I never force users to use browser keys to navigate. From what I learned if you use browser buttons to navigate it reverts variables to previous state (like change rollback). We know that Axure do not keep variable changes when using back to previous page option.

What I suggest is a different approach for this problem:

1. Open external PDF in separate tab or window - in this way a user does not have to navigate back and forth (better UX imo)

2. Embed external PDF inside iframe component in a new page and provide on page navigation to go back by pointing to required page (but not via go back). This should allow you to keep the variable changes.

I am curious if you maybe find a different solution so I am looking forward to hearing other suggestions.

Regards,
Az

Hi Azael…

Thanks for the reply… In most Web-based pages, “View .pdf” does take you out to the browser .pdf handler which can provide print, download, etc. I’ll experiment with using a Frame setting.

Yes, I tried the separate window and the selected setting remains intact–but it’s just the setting left behind and the page doesn’t reload.

However, I did try out a special Axure page with the frame as you suggested, and this works! The .pdf handler works within the frame, and the print and download all work. I will persuade my developers to use this frame solution. I’ve used this method to play YouTube videos and I was familiar with the technique.

Also, I discovered that the global variable I created had the “set” variable punched in, and when I deleted it, the interface works as it should–the user returns from the view pdf page with their selections in tack.

Thanks again for helping!

Tedrich

unlisted #4