Change font / have different fonts when using "Insert Variable or Function"

advanced-prototyping

Howdy.

Is it possible to set at least two different fonts for variables when adding cases? I am doing something akin to Append text to a box onclick and have text in the box that differs in weight and color. When I append the second variable, it not only takes on the weight and color of the topmost line of text, but the existing text that is in a different weight and color changes as well. How can I keep the original text as it is and append the input text so it looks like what’s already there?

I’ve attached the file.message-test.rp (54.5 KB)

I think this is something you could easily knock out with Rich Text. When setting text, change the dropdown option [value] to [rich text]. From here, all your local variables and static text can be formatted (color, alignment, weight, size, etc.).

I wonder what would happen if you push each message into a repeater?

Hope this is helps.

Thanks for the tip, jlhelmers. However, it’s still changing the font below it every time a new input text is entered. I need the text already there to stay as it is. Rich Text only works for the latest entry and changes what’s already there. I don’t really understand how a repeater works despite having looked at the tutorials. I’ll have another look, though.

I think you are changing the label itself and leaving the repeater untouched.
This way everytime a repeater value changes everything is reverted to the default repeater style.

Try adding another column specifying the appearance of your row to your repeater.
And then updating the repeater rows.
OnItemLoad you can then check if a row needs to be changed in style using the rich text method.

Let me know if you need an example.

Thanks, Zuvala. I’m just looking at the Repeater tutorial for “Adding, Deleting, and Updating Rows” now. I’m pretty sure I’m going to need an example of what you mean, but I’ll give it a go first.

Hi, Zuvala.

I’ve had a go at this, but I don’t understand how to specify the appearance of a row in a column.

Hi,

Here is an example:
It toggles a boolean when clicking on a repeater item.
Repeater-Rich-Text.rp (50.2 KB)

There are other ways to achieve the same effect.

• You could include a dynamic panel with multiple states in the repeater.
  • You could make use of the interaction style “selected”.

Uh, i finally had a look at your file.
Maybe you can also have a look at this little messenger I built some days back.

Thanks for your help, Zuvala. I think it’s too complicated for me at the moment and I’m running out of time, so I’ll just stick a note on the prototype for now.

Don’t worry, not every prototype has to mimic full functionality.
Although Axure is great for creating sophisticated prototypes, you always have to ask is it worth the time or can I fake it to the same effect?

In your example: Do you really need the full typing experience or can you just make before/after states?

Cheers and keep up

I’ve been asked for the full typing experience, but will opt for your suggestion of before/after states. Thanks so much for the encouragement. :slight_smile: