Confused about RP files on Axshare

We are sharing team project over Axshare. Pinky icon in shared folder. It works fine.

However, there is another rp file with the same name in My Project folder.

I am not sure, but I guess it gets there with the first publish of the prototype on Axshare (and share the same ID with the html prototype).

This makes me trouble since I do not understand the purpose of it.

I am looking for description of this behaviour but cannot find it. Any hint? Thank you.

Hi!

Yes, it’s confusing. If you have an existing rp file that you convert to a team project, your original file (not a team project file - just an .rp file) sticks around. However, a team project version (.rpprj) of that file is created in the Documents/Axure/Team Projects directory. You can delete the original .rp file.

Whenever you want to edit the team project, edit the .rpprj file. Rather than using the publish button to update the team project, you’ll be checking in/out various pages to Axshare. Use the options on the Team menu.

So, to publish a team project on axshare service, I should not use Publish to Axure Share at all. Just Check in option.

Oh, dear! I would have never guessed that myself.

I am using Axure for more than five years now, and I have always thought about the rp file and the generated html prototype as the separated things.

Maybe this topic should be explained more clearly. Or maybe it is just me being too stupid … :slight_smile:

Anyway, thank you a lot, Joseph!

Thinking about this issue … So, when I check in the page in the project, it is immediately published in the html prototype. Is that right?

Now I get more questions:

• Is there a way I can check in the changes (i.e. for safety reasons) without changing the html protoype (seen by the audience)?

• Why is the option ‘Publish to AxShare’ in team kind of project at all?

Thanks.

Hi Tadej -

Yes, when you check in a page, it is published for viewing. You can also publish a page as is without checking it in, presumably because you are still working on it and don’t want someone else checking it out.

There is no graceful way to check something in without publishing it. You could instead duplicate the page - any new page is essentially “checked out” - and hide the duplicate page in the publishing options and check it in for safety as often as you want. Then when you are ready to publish the page, check out and delete the original, check everything in, rename the duplicate, show it in the publishing options and check it in. Yuck. (I’d test this with non-critical work first - I’ve not tried this method, though it should work in theory.)

I have no idea why the publish to Axshare option exists for team projects. I know that when you do so, replacing the team project is not an option. Maybe it’s there so you can convert it from a team project to a regular one.

That’s exactly right. When you publish to Axure Share from a team project local copy, Axure RP uploads an exported RP file from your RPPRJ file. Furthermore, that RP file gets published to a different Axure Share ID, leaving the team project intact and unchanged.

You can use the “Publish to Axure Share” option for this. Instead of distributing the Axure Share URL for the team project, distribute the URL for the standalone project. Checking in changes to the team project will not update the standalone project; it will only be updated when you use the “Publish to Axure Share” upload option. This workflow will allow you to control when your audience sees new edits to the prototype while still allowing people working on the project to view the fully up-to-date version.

I hope this helps!

Hi.

For my case the scenario would be: team works on a shared team project, then publish to another project (which should be in the same shared map). Link of this colateral project is then shared among viewers.

Thanks for all the answers. It helps to clear my view of the way this project / html prototype corelation on AxShare works.

closed #8

unlisted #9

archived #10