Hide/Show Options

rp-7

We’ve added a ‘slew’ of new hide/show options to help you make building common design patterns like flyout menus, accordions, and lightboxes much simpler!

Show

[ul]
[li]bring to front: brings the widget(s) you are showing to the front (z-index)[/li][li]treat as lightbox: will display a customizable background around the widgets(s) being shown, widgets will be hidden when clicking outside of the shown widget(s). Commonly used with Pin to Browser (middle, center).[/li][li]treat as flyout: will create an invisible boundary in between widgets where your cursor can travel without hiding the widget. Perfect for making tooltips and flyout menus.[/li][/ul]

Show/Hide

[ul]
[li]push/pull widgets: moves widgets below the widget(s) being shown up and down as they are shown and hidden. Prevents from needing to use “OnMove” events to control accordion menus and collapsable content. More info[/li][/ul]

See it live
show-hide-options.rp (53.5 KB)

Awesome! This is going to speed up my work quite a bit.

Where can we find these options?

You can find the options while you’re defining your actions in the case editor.

This is great to have!

Is there any way to get this to work inside a dynamic panel?

I tried using it for a loading icon and it covered the entire page when I really just wanted it to appear within the data table I had created.

Hmmm, I’ve waited for this for a long time …

But, as far as I can see, this doesn’t work with dynamic panels, correct? Up until now I’ve used dynamic panels to simulate lightboxes. When I try to show a dynamic panel (in order to use this new functionality), I run into error messages all the time (“HostInfo: WPFHost - Control:StackLayoutPanel: 2, node info: null”).

@jim - I don’t believe so, you can create a new thread as a feature request.

@japhy - It should work with dynamic panels, can you submit a bug report if you’re getting an error message or post an rp file?

How do you control what’s defined as “below” or “to the right?” As far as I can tell, it’s completely random what gets pushed or pulled.

Another issue… treating things as modals is all well and good, but if that’s going to happen we need to be able to set widgets to hidden by default, like we could with panels. We shouldn’t have to hide them on page load and then show them again… especially if they’re modals that are triggered conditionally on page load.

Hi, Fred. You can do Look for the eyeball icon under the location and size fields in your widget properties palette.

J

Goodness. This no right clicking business is going to be difficult to get used to. Personally, I’d expect “hidden/shown” to be a property with a checkbox and an actual label on the properties palette, not an icon without a label on the style palette.

Hey Fred, it’s coming around :slight_smile:

Paul, is there a bug with the treat-as-flyout function?
I’ve an onMouseEnter event on a hotspot widget that fires the show on a dynamic panel, I’ve selected ‘treat-as-flyout’ from the drop down.
It doesn’t appear to do anything at all. Have I set this up this as it is intended to be used?
Help appreciated.
Stuart

Yes, there is a bug right now. I believe we will be publishing a new build soon with a fix for this.

OK Paul, thanks for clearing that up!
I’ll hack it for now :slight_smile:

The new build is up so you should be good to go.

This is a great option.

However I found a bug with the push/pull functionality - if you trigger the event before the animation has finished all the spacing goes a bit awol.

Example here: Untitled Document (click the top, gray “1” to show hide the white “1”. Then click the gray “1” fast and see what happens)

was the treast as floyout supposed to do something? Would this be something we could use for the facebook style push over kind of a accordion on its side.

Is the bug reported by “stunews” with the “Treat as flyout” there in the Axure v8 beta, or is it just me doing something wrong?

“Treat as flyout” seems to be working both with and without animations in 3264. If you’re on the latest build and are still experiencing issues, please send your file to us either via this thread or through support@axure.com so that we can take a look and help you out. Thanks!