How do images work?

how does the image library work?

is there a image library at all? is there a listing of all images imported?

can I use a image only 1 time when it’s imported / on a page?

is the image still available once I delete it? is it saved in the RP?

can I swap already imported images?

Is the “value” for set image by image name or just a remote url?

There is basically NO DOCUMENTATION for images or any of these that I can find.

Hello,

how does the image library work?
– There´s no such a thing like image library, but there´s widget library. Primary purpose is for components or icons. But library from images could be done this way too…why not.

can I use a image only 1 time when it’s imported / on a page?
– No, there´s no limit. If you copy&paste image on page or drag&drop from PC folder to page, it´s still one image source. But if you want to change them later, you will need to change them one by one. Use masters for repeating images on multiple pages.
https://www.axure.com/support/reference/masters

is the image still available once I delete it? is it saved in the RP?
– Yes, image is saved to RP.

can I swap already imported images?
– Yes, click on image, look for “Import” button from Inspector / Properties panel

Is the “value” for set image by image name or just a remote url?
– You can insert URL for image changing from “image” to “value” and paste it

Martin

how can I see what images is already “imported” or saved in the RP?

The library of widgets doesn’t seem to list any of the images?

why can’t I use an already imported image to set as a new image, do I have to import the same image (that you claim is already saved in the RP) again and again and cannot use it by name??

what is the point of naming an image if you can’t set the value somewhere else?

In a repeater, if I want to change the image in edit mode then I have to import it (again) right? I can’t drop a image on a repeater column or anything like that?

if I drag a shape/icon out of the library and want to use it in a repeater, I currently have
to copy/paste the image in a 3rd party program, save it locally (as there is no export image in Axure)
THEN go back into Axure and import it as an image to the repeater row, is that ridiculous method that I have to use correct???

Hi axuernoob1,

Your findings are correct - there isn’t currently a way to see which images were already imported/used in the project file, and there isn’t a way to reference an image that has already been imported into the file by a value. These are all great points, though, and I’ve shared this post with our respective teams for further review.

As for importing images into the repeater, yes, you will need to import the image file each time (there isn’t a way to drop an image onto a repeater column), but I’ll file this as a feature request with our teams as well.

As for dragging a shape/icon out of a widget library to use in the repeater, what you could potentially do is preview the page in the browser and right-click on the shape to save it as an image, though the format of the widget in the output will depend on the widget. The Primary Button widget, for example, is constructed as a div, while the Placeholder widget is generated as an image. There is also an export image function in Axure RP, if you wanted to give that a try (“File > Export [page] to Image”).

Last, what may currently help with your workflow for reusing images is to use global variables to store an absolute or relative path to the image file, and then set the value of the image to the global variable whenever needed. An absolute path to the server holding the image (http/https) would probably be the best route, i.e. publish the files online, get the URL to the image file, and then store those URLs as values to global variables. If you were generating the HTML files locally, however, then you could use a relative path to set the value to the location of the file on your system, e.g. “/Documents/Axure/HTML/myimgfile.jpg”.

Please let me know if you have any other thoughts or questions - we’d love to hear your feedback. :slight_smile: