How to use the Preview Button

rp-7

Maybe one of the most significant additions to Axure is the option to preview your design, instead of generating.

How does it work?
Click the preview icon to launch your web browser. Return to Axure, make edits to your project and then refresh your browser. The changes will apply to your preview, instantly!

Change browser or remove sitemap
Select “Publish > Preview Options” in the main menu to preview w/o the sitemap and with alternative browsers.

What does this mean?
No more needing to re-generate your entire project when you add new pages or make changes.

“Have mercy” this is a great feature.

Video: http://t.co/Kt8P4OG8FR

Is this similar to Prototype in Axure 6.5, but done automatically?

Yup, that is pretty much exactly correct. We generate only the files that are needed to preview what you are currently viewing to a temp location.

Great work for this , it’s save time especially when you need to generate one page from multi pages

This feature is awesome!!! It has shaves a great deal of time off my workflow. I also have a question. Does the preview use the localhost?

Sure does. My command line is a little rusty, but I’m excited to see how people leverage this.

Ben

This is a nice feature but I hope it will speed up in the release. I am on a macbook pro and waiting about 30 secs with the browser showing waiting on the local host.

Works fine with me. Mac, too.

Works great for me! A real time saver!

This was one thing that I’ve been wishing for for a long time. Thank you!! Will certainly speed up my process.

Can I change the browser the preview uses? I can set it for generate prototype but it doesn’t use that browser for preview.

Preview isn’t customizable, yet, but we are working on it.

EDIT: You can now select browser and and sitemap options for Preview through ‘Publish -> Preview Options…’, Update To Latest Version | Axure.

Ok, I’ve made safari my default browser as a workaround so for now it works. Good to hear it will be customizable. Thanks!

There is one problem I think. Axure works too slow when I try to copy big part of page or complicated elements. It takes too much time and I think the reason is this preview functionality. It’s hard to work when copy paste takes soooooo much time

Is this feature available in Axure RP 6.5? I can’t seem to find the preview button :frowning:

Hi Siongeng,

Not in 6.5, no–this is a version 7 beta feature. In 6.5, just generate a Prototype as normal by clicking the “Prototype” button above the Wireframe. You won’t be able to refresh your tab to see updates, but you’ll still get an interactive Prototype.

Ben

Would there be a way that I can turn of the preview server stuff. It seems like it is sucking a lot out my laptop and I would prefer speeding up my entire Axure install over just speeding up to generate the prototype.

Great…I was just looking for a way to set it to preview something other than my default browser…

“Publish > Preview Settings” allows your to change the preview browser.

Unfortunately, my attempts to use the Preview mode consistently result in a Report Error dialog. I am able to generate HTML prototypes so I’m not sure why I’m getting this error. I’ve checked the Preview options and didn’t find anything that helps.

Please help.