Intro to the Repeater Widget

repeater-widget

SEPTEMBER 2017 UPDATE

If you’re running Axure RP 8, check out the links below for our new, updated repeater tutorials.

Repeater Basics
[ol]
[li]Basic Repeater – Dynamic Table
[/li][li]Sorting Repeater Rows
[/li][li]Filtering Repeater Rows
[/li][li]Add, Delete, and Update Repeater Rows
[/li][li]Marking Repeater Rows
[/li][/ol]
Advanced Repeater Techniques
[ol]
[li]Advanced Repeater – Product Listing
[/li][li]Repeater Reference Pages
[/li][li]Advanced Repeater Filtering
[/li][li]Repeater Pagination
[/li][/ol]

[i]Note: The screenshots below feature the Axure RP 7 UI. If you're running Axure RP 8, please see the links above for the updated UI.[/i]

What is a Repeater?

There are 2 parts, drag a repeater onto your wireframe and double-click to begin editing.

1. Repeater Items (Dataset) can be Text, Image (Set Image), Page (Open Link).

2. Item Wireframe

Put the text from the dataset into the wireframe using OnLoad -> Set Text on Widget = [[Item.ColumnName]]

The wireframe is repeated as many times as there are items/rows in the dataset.

Conditions

You can also use Item.ColumnName in conditions. I’ve added a third column called ‘letters_in_name’ to signify the number of letters in each person’s name, and given them all values. I’ve also added a 3rd shape widget to the Item Wireframe, and given it a selected style (blue fill).

What I’m going to do is set the lettersinname column to selected if the value is less than or equal to 3. Take a look at Case 2.

looks like this…

Troubleshooting: If you’re having trouble with this make sure your Case 2 is an IF (Right-click to toggle IF/ELSE IF). Also make sure you’ve defined a selected style on your widget.

Setting Images
You can reference images as data as well. Right click on a cell and click “Import Image” to add the image.

Then use the action “Set Image”, select the image where you’ll be setting the image to, then enter the [[item.ColumnName]] variable as a value.

Repeater Formatting

Let’s jazz up the way this repeater looks. I’ve opened up the repeated and rearranged my shapes. I also added text to my widgets just so I can visualize the layout (this text will be dynamically overwritten with my actions).

Next, I want this repeater to go horizonally instead of vertically, so I will go to the Repeater Formatting tab and select “Horizontal”. I also only want to display 3 items, and then wrap, so I enter that value as well.

Lastly, I want some padding between my rows and columns, so I enter a value for Row and Column padding.

Let’s check out the result.

Next: http://www.axure.com/forum/v7-beta-repeater-widget/7969-sort-filtering-repeater.html
repeater-examples.rp (248 KB)

This is a great add. Looks really promising. I’m wondering if there’s any documentation on the repeater’s pagination feature?

I’ve been trying to figure out how to update pagination links after adding items dynamically to a repeater. If I have the repeater set to 10 items per page and I add an 11th item I want my pagination links to say “Showing page 1 of 2” or “<< 1 2 >>”.

Does any one know if this is possible? I haven’t been able to find a way to get the page count or current page number for a repeater.

This will take some time to get my head around but I can see this being really useful. I think v7 is going to be truly a great update

Not sure if a majority of users would found that easy, but it would definitely be a great opportunity for widget creators.

sorry. currently have no idea how to use this mighty new function

How to understand the function Pagination in Repeater Formatting?

I’m trying Axure7 for the first time on OSX 10.8.4
I dragged repeater object…but double clicking doesn’t change anything…no way to see the repeater widget properties…

Setting Images
You can reference images as data as well. Right click on a cell and click “Reference Image” to import the image.

Maybe I’m not doing something correctly, but I am not seeing a “Reference Image” option in the menu.

Can you submit a bug report or email us at support @ axure dot com?

Setting Images
You can reference images as data as well. Right click on a cell and click “Reference Image” to import the image.

Maybe I’m not doing something correctly, but I am not seeing a “Reference Image” option in the menu.
reference_image.png

It’s actually Import Image, I’ll update the original post.

Unfortunately all items output with text align = center :frowning:

Alex, you’ll want to select the widget for the text in the repeater > Edit Text > and choose left align icon.

This feature would be so freakin’ awesome if you guys could add a data-importer (database/webservice)! I’m also using iRise sometimes (sorry for that!) and think that their data import functionality is really sweet. Fingers crossed! :slight_smile:

I also tried to copy/paste from Excel files but that is also not working (yet?). I can see this has so much potential with a little extra effort! I think a lot of users (like myself) will be copying their data from other sources…

Anyways, thanks for this great feature!

Hi,
I’ve started using prototyper pro a few months ago because of the dataset and datagrid feature. One thing that rocks is the possibility of arrange and layout the items elements as we want, and then the repeater just repeat the items rows with the layout I configured. Is it possible to do this with the axure repeater or is it limited about custom layout of items fields?

any news about my point? I was an Axure user but switched to prototyper pro because of the lack of a feature like this and other cute features prototyper had. That’s why I’m asking this question so I can eval again becoming an Axure User.
Thank you in advance.

Hi Mogarick,

Just saw your question–apologies for the delay. Yes, that sounds like it’s exactly what the Repeater is designed to do. It’ll take your layout and repeat it for each of the Items. Let me know if this doesn’t work for you.

Ben

Thank you! It’s very unobvious way for text formating.
I tried to change widget’s property before. But it doesn’t work.

Btw, your method also doesn’t work sometimes. I don’t know why, but these font properties are sometimes disabled:
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s25/sh/f4b7f675-a955-49c5-956a-85322ce14b66/5c1d5cc0127876677c0f5293a5cf1df5

I tried changing the styling (font, font size, color) in the repeater itself and in the case, but neither work. Is there any way to style?

Same thing has happened to me before, but I don’t remember how I got it working. It’s weird.

You have to select (highlight) the entire text to apply the style.

Thanks that did it for the styling.

Next one: making the an image canvas round. It previews nice in my Home tab in Axure but when Previewing in browser the effect is not there.

Hi all,

The controls being disabled in that text editor was a bug. It should be fixed in the latest beta, 7.0.0.3111, Download V7 Beta | Axure.