Is there a hack/way to get thicker borders?

I’m trying to make bar-charts (think the mercury column in an old school thermometer), and donut charts.

Both of which I can construct in illustrator using thick, say 9 px wide, lines for bar-charts, and 50 px wide lines in Illustrator for donut charts. But when I bring them into Axure, they go from being lines to blocks/rectangles— which makes it close to impossible for me to make dynamic charts.

Maybe there’s a javascript way to do this?

Thanks,
J

Hi!

Sadly, Axure converts most vector objects into raster objects (bitmaps) when it publishes, so there is no dynamic way - even through Javascript - to change any border width dynamically.

You could embed an SVG object (through Javascript) and then modify it. Here’s an example of such a thing, but it’s a lot of work.

I’m hoping that the upcoming Axure 9 drops this habit of rasterizing perfectly good vectors.

Thanks Josephxbrick.
Actually, I import svg graphics into my RP file, and convert them to native Axure shapes. Still doesn’t get me to where I’d be if Axure listed border thicknesses greater than 5 px. I don’t understand why they restrict the menu to that. It’d be immensely more useful if they provided as many border thicknesses as they provide font point-sizes.

-John

Hi again!

Once these imported SVGs are converted to Axure shapes, the same problem exists: these shapes will be converted to bitmaps when published, and thus the shape’s border ceases to be an identifiable property: it’s now just a collection of pixels among other pixels in the bitmap. So even if Axure allowed a 1000-pixel border width, there is no longer a border that can be manipulated in real time, which is the goal for your charting.

Axure 9 beta is due soon, which teases an all-new rendering engine. I hope this means they are dropping Internet Explorer from their list of supported browsers. IE’s support of inline SVGs is extremely poor, and is probably the reason Axure converts vectors to bitmaps in the first place. This is a prototyping tool, not Dreamweaver. I’ve never worked with any client or colleague to whom I couldn’t simply say, “Don’t use IE.” I’ve been saying for years now anyway because it is so preposterously slow compared to Chrome or Safari.

Huh?

SVG files remain vectors in Axure as far as I know?

Demo: https://26tnd2.axshare.com/home.html
(Click to zoom each circle and check if they are rastered)

File:circle-getting-blurred.rp (54.6 KB)

Also, you can use your own CSS if you want. Just add a plugin to declare the css and name your object in Axure.

[data-label=MyBox]{ border:200px solid red !important; }

Thanks MurrayEaton,

Your RP file confirms the irony that SVG objects look pixelated in Axure, but look perfect when rendered in a browser.

Alas AxShare is forbidden at my place of employment.

My next quest is to see if one can easily manipulate/transform arcs by degrees of arc in axure. probably not. ;-(

-J