Need to export to PDF Table of Contents instead of Word

specifications

Hi,

I am an advanced Axure user that has a question about exporting.

Any ideas how we can export to a format that will allow us to copy / paste our content (all of our words) as well as create a clickable linked Table of Contents? Word export is no good for this - see below.

In the past we used the export for MS Word option but our development team does not like that format because all of the page contents gets converted into a single flat image. Our dev team needs to be able to copy / paste all of our words into their systems for development - so this option is no good for our needs.

So… we tried to Print to PDF (Mac) because PDF generates the file with all of the page content as words & images. However, we loose the ability to create a clickable linked Table of Contents.

I have created a manual Table of Contents by dragging all of the pages from the site map into a newly created page (TOC), but this is not linked in the PDF to the actual pages.

If we export to Word we have a Table of Contents but not copyable text content.
If we export to Print to PDF then we get the copyable content but no table of contents.

Anyone have any ideas of how we can achieve our goals?

Thanks in advance
Mark

Hi Mark,

You may want to take a look at the Axure RP API, which you or your developers can use to create an application that generates custom documentation to fit your needs.

Is there a Generate PDF Specifications… option? I’ve seen it asked for several times in the last couple of years.

Hi Morgan,

If you want to print to PDF, then you can use the “File > Print” menu to do so. On Mac, after clicking “Print” in Axure’s print dialog, you should be able to choose to save as a PDF. On Windows, you’ll need to install a PDF writer and select that as your chosen printer when printing the prototype.

As far as a built-in PDF specifications generator, this isn’t implemented but I’ll let the product team know that there’s interest. Thanks!

I keep seeing Alyssa’s answer but it’s not true. I’m on a Mac and there is no Save As PDF option. You can only save as Word, HTML, CSV, or Print (and unlike other Mac apps, there’s no “Print to PDF” option). I can’t believe this doesn’t exist yet.

Hi billzmags,

To print to PDF on a Mac, you’ll want to head to “File > Print” in Axure RP’s menu to open the “Print” dialog. Once there, click “Print” and then in the next dialog that appears, select the “Save as PDF” option from the dropdown menu:

This will open a save dialog that’ll allow you to save your prototype as a PDF.

Hopefully this helps! Let us know if you have any questions or if you happen to be seeing something else on your machine.

Much appreciated Simon. I didn’t realize there’s an added Print screen after. Thank you so much for the screenshot.

closed #10

unlisted #11