Password Validation - Prototype issues?

Hey there,

I’m having a few issues in regards to dynamic password validation on typing. I’ve managed to get 5/6 of the interaction UI to respond on typing, but one of them (number) seems to be contradicted by the ‘lowercase letter’ validation! So far, I have as follows:

• 10 or more characters (OnTextChange: IF length of this value is greater than 9) :white_check_mark:
  • 1 Uppercase character (OnTextChange: [[LVAR1.toLowercase()]] :white_check_mark:
  • 1 Lowercase character (OnTextChange: [[LVAR1.toUppercase()]] :white_check_mark:
    - 1 Number (OnkeyUp: IF text on this is numeric)
  • 1 Symbol (OnKeyUp: IF text on this is not alphanumeric) :white_check_mark:

It seems that the check for Number works until a user types alpha (non-numeric) character, which is to check if the text is not abc then reverts it back to an ‘unmatched’ state! Any advice or help would be greatly apprenticed.

cheers,
Sean

Hi!

Well, this expression is a little absurd but it works. It checks if the string contains “0” or “1” or “2” or…

It does it in a single IF statement, so it’s not so bad. You test to see if the following expression is equal to true, where LVAR_txt is a local variable referring to the text of the field. The double-pipe means OR, and the indexOf() function returns 0 or greater if it finds the value.

[[ LVAR_txt.indexOf("0") >= 0 || LVAR_txt.indexOf("1") >= 0 || LVAR_txt.indexOf("2") >= 0 || LVAR_txt.indexOf("3") >= 0 || LVAR_txt.indexOf("4") >= 0 || LVAR_txt.indexOf("5") >= 0 || LVAR_txt.indexOf("6") >= 0 || LVAR_txt.indexOf("7") >= 0 || LVAR_txt.indexOf("8") >= 0 || LVAR_txt.indexOf("9") >= 0 ]]

test for at least one number.rp (46.6 KB)

…and then it occurred to me that you can test the whole thing in a single IF statement if you are willing to specify which special characters are allowed…

[[ (LVAR_txt.length > 9 && LVAR_txt.toLowerCase() != LVAR_txt && LVAR_txt.toUpperCase() != LVAR_txt) && (LVAR_txt.indexOf("0") >= 0 || LVAR_txt.indexOf("1") >= 0 || LVAR_txt.indexOf("2") >= 0 || LVAR_txt.indexOf("3") >= 0 || LVAR_txt.indexOf("4") >= 0 || LVAR_txt.indexOf("5") >= 0 || LVAR_txt.indexOf("6") >= 0 || LVAR_txt.indexOf("7") >= 0 || LVAR_txt.indexOf("8") >= 0 || LVAR_txt.indexOf("9") >= 0) && (LVAR_txt.indexOf("!") >= 0 || LVAR_txt.indexOf("@") >= 0 || LVAR_txt.indexOf("#") >= 0 || LVAR_txt.indexOf("$") >= 0 || LVAR_txt.indexOf("%") >= 0 || LVAR_txt.indexOf("^") >= 0 || LVAR_txt.indexOf("&") >= 0 || LVAR_txt.indexOf("*") >= 0) ]]

One day Axure may add a function that applies a regex expression…

Thanks so much for getting back to me - this looks amazing!

One quick, ‘newbie’ question, I’m assuming this interaction is On keyUp or TextChange right? I’d have to configure the panel action as a result of the validation to a green/matched state, as below:

LVAR_Axure%20PW

i’m not too sure where I’ve gone wrong? again, I’m used to sketch so axure is quite new! esp the level of prototyping.

Maybe shorter to just chain together a bunch of .replace("0","") for each numeral then see if it’s the same as the original?