Preview fails: File Not Found - url : /start.html

Hi there!

I’ve been experiencing troubles when trying to preview any page from any project.
Everything was working fine until I installed my new mac.
The setup is exactly the same as my previous mac

• Mac OS: High Sierra
  • Same Chrome version (the latest one)
  • Same Axure version (the latest one)

The error I get is the following:

I’ve seen similar problems and tried to add 127.0.0.1 to my proxy settings and no luck for now.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hmm, it sounds like preview is failing for all projects, and I imagine for all browsers. To confirm, does viewing the generated HTML and projects on Axure Share still work normally?

Typically for preview issues, it helps to bypass the localhost (127.0.0.1) in all proxy, firewall, and security settings to ensure that Axure RP is able to generate a preview. If you’ve already done this and your settings on your new Mac otherwise match the setting on your previous Mac, then do you happen to know if the new Mac’s file system is case-sensitive? The preview function in Axure RP relies on the file system being case-insensitive, so if your new Mac was formatted to be case-sensitive then this could be causing the problem. You can verify this by opening the Finder and going to “Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility”, selecting a disk in the “Disk Utility” dialog, and clicking “Info”. The “File System” and “Is case-sensitive” items should help to confirm whether the new Mac’s file system is case-sensitive.

Hi Alissa,

Thanks for your help.

Generating as HTML works correctly.
The hard drive is also Disk Sensitive.

Just to be sure, bypass the localhost on a mac is done by doing the following, right?

Thanks,

Greg

Hmm the bypass settings look correct. To clarify the “Disk Sensitive” bit, do you mean that the hard drive shows that it’s set as case-sensitive, or case-insensitive?

It’s Case sensitive.
Here is the screenshot:

Ahh, thanks for confirming! So it does look like your disk is case-sensitive, which has been found to cause problems with preview in Axure RP. Our recommendation, if you’re able, would be to reformat the disk to be case-insensitive to get the preview function working on this new machine. In the meantime I’ll file a request with our product team for Axure RP’s preview function to be case-sensitive-friendly.

This is a work laptop and I cannot reformat it like that…
It’s just been back from Apple and I guess they format it to be case sensitive.

There is no other way to make it work? This is pretty annoying and formatting my disk is pretty drastic as a solution, especially for a work laptop.

Ah I see! Unfortunately it doesn’t look like there’s another workaround for this issue at the moment. In a pinch, hopefully generating the local HTML should help to allow you to view the prototype off of Axure Share.

Hi, I’m having the same problem, but my Mac is not case-sensitive. I’ve recently upgraded to High Sierra OS when this problem started occurring with previewing my prototype. I’ve updated my proxy settings like the above screenshot from Greg, but previewing is still not working.

Note: I’m on a work laptop as well.

Thanks!

So formatting the HD do not case sensitive made the trick.
Not ideal as I had to fully reinstall my mac but preview is now working.

@kfourte, this is weird… I’ll let @Alyssa_Axure pitch in to see if there could be other root causes for this issue.

Hi!

Hmm, to confirm, are you still able to both generate local HTML and publish to Axure Share without issues? This will help to confirm that it’s just preview that is affected on your machine and that you’re not running into a file-specific or more general issue.

If just preview isn’t working on your end and the disk isn’t case-sensitive, then could you let us know which error you’re getting in the browser? Does it occur in all browsers, and for all files (including new files, if you haven’t tested already)? Did preview ever work on this machine? If so, are you or your IT team aware of any changes that were made to the machine at around the same time as the preview issue started, such as any changes or new installations for security or antivirus tools? If there are any additional security tools installed or running in your network environment, then we’d recommend pinging IT to ensure that there isn’t anything preventing Axure RP from generating a preview on the localhost at 127.0.0.1.

If the preview issue is urgent, feel free to email support@axure.com so that we can assist you one on one. Thanks!

I ended up in this thread because suddenly preview failed on me too. I followed the advice here. Still failing.
Then I figured out the cause: One page in my sitemap spelled “App”. Including the quotation marks! Removing them solved the preview issue for me. Avoiding special characters from now on…

Hi yetanotherfish,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! I was able to reproduce the same behavior where previewing a page named “App” (with the quotation marks) generates a “File Not Found” page in the browser, and I’ve filed this as a bug with our QA team for further investigation.

unlisted #14