Push / pull widgets does not work with nested dynamic panels

As far as I can tell, using “push / pull widgets” does not work when using nested dynamic panels. Even though all panels have “Fit to content” selected, when a panel changes size, nothing outside of that panel gets pushed.

Example: push pull widgets test : http://iz2xog.axshare.com

In the prototype, select “Composite” in the “Directory Type” dropdown. Then select “Schedule” in the “Publish Method” dropdown. The buttons (“Add” and “Cancel”) do not get pushed down.

Now select “Once a Week” in the “Publish” dropdown. None of the content below gets pushed down.

[ATTACH]12650[/ATTACH]

(Axure .rp file is attached)

Several coworkers have had the same problem. Unless I’m missing something, I think this is a bug. But maybe someone has a trick / workaround for the time being? If so I would greatly appreciate it…

thanks!

p.s.: We are on Axure v8.0.0.3297
push pull widgets test.rp (132 KB)

Hi platypusman, I have had this problem myself in the past - seems to be a feature, not a bug :frowning:

One option I see here is to place the buttons (add/cancel) on every state of the dynamic panel and also have a new state with only the buttons that is displayed initially. That way you ensure that the buttons are always pushed/pulled correctly. (see it here)

Another option - on the hide/show of nested panels you add a “move” action for the buttons (I would group them or place on a separate panel. This is harder of course because you need to calculate the number of pixels to move for multiple cases.

Hi platypusman,

As urbansombrero99 writes “push/pull” only affect widgets a the same dynamic panel level. However in your case there is a workaround which might seem a bit complicated at first, but it is not that complicated. The trick is to automatically push/pull the widgets below the dynamic panels when the dynamic panels change size. You can have a look at a live demo Untitled Document and download the Axure project PushPullOnResize.rp (112 KB).

/sam

Thank you. Yeah, those are pretty much the workarounds we’ve been using. Fairly cumbersome…

What do you mean when you say “seems to be a feature, not a bug”?..

Is this issue with push/pull widgets being fixed? It has been around since at least Jan 2014:

Tried using the “sandwich” method described in a response to that thread ( Nested dynamic panels: ability to push/pull a content from the nested panel ) - but not having any luck. (And if I’m understanding it correctly, it really wouldn’t work with animation…)

In the meantime, is using another panel and calculating the height, etc, still the recommended workaround?.. : /

No, this hasn’t been resolved

Hmm, hiding and re-showing the outer DPs (with push/pull) should affect the outside content. Can you attach a copy of your RP file? Were you able to get push/pull working in your original file (“push pull widgets test.rp”)? The animation can be added in the last Show action of the series. I’ll also be able to submit a feature request that addresses the specific file structure and limitations seen in your project. Thank you!

I haven’t gotten it to work.

Perhaps I’m not understanding…

Here is a simple demonstration of what I’m trying to do:
https://agilmm.axshare.com

push pull widgets test 2.rp (62.9 KB)

Hi platypusman,

I took a look at your file and it looks like you can get the desired push/pull interaction by implementing the sandwich workaround into the “OnSelectionChange” event of your second droplist widget (in the “extra options” dynamic panel):

By hiding the outer “extra options” panel and then showing the inner “extra options 2” panel, the outer panel is adjusted to the new height with the inner panel shown. Then showing the outer panel again will push the widgets below it according to this new height.

I’ve attached an edited version of your file below–note that this approach doesn’t work when animations are included in the hide and show methods, so I’ve removed those as well. Let me know if you have any questions about this!

push pull widgets test 2_edited.rp (64.6 KB)

Thanks Simon.

A much belated reply here…

The attached .rp file didn’t seem to work for me but after some experimentation I was able to get the sandwich method to work - IF all animation is removed.

https://5b0pui.axshare.com

I still find it very tedious / complicated, and the fact that it doesn’t work with animation pretty much means there is almost no case in which animation can be used - you can’t really animate something unless the stuff around it adjusts, which is apparently not possible (at least with nested panels). (Or am I missing something?..)

I haven’t yet tried Axure 9 - are these issues fixed in the new release?..

thanks

Hi platypusman!

It doesn’t look like this is fixed in the 9 beta, but I’ll add this post to the report we have on file for the issue.

unlisted #12