Simultate downloading and uploading a file

rp-7
newbie-question

I am working on a prototype where users can click on a button and download info onto an excel spreadsheet.
How can I set that up?

It depends on what level of fidelity you need.

High Fidelity: You need actual data entered into a prototype to be downloaded in a spreadsheet.
Solution: Don’t use Axure. The amount of effort you’d go through is probably not worth it. One exception might be if you can find (or build!) an online service with an API with a GET endpoint that gives you a file based on your query parameters. Then you could build the URL with Axure variables.

Medium Fidelity: You just need a static, unchanging spreadsheet to download.
Solution: Host the spreadsheet somewhere and link to it. Most browsers will download it. It’s possible you might run into cross domain issue, but I’m not sure.

Low Fidelity: You just need to show that a file would be downloaded when the real thing is built.
Solution: Created a fake popup or notification in Axure that looks like a file download prompt.

Really Low Fidelity: You just need to show that a file would be downloaded when the real thing is built.
Solution: Use the “Other” action on a Case and just type in something like, “A file is now downloaded.” This will cause a popup to appear with your text. This is used to describe actions that would occur that aren’t actually included in the prototype.

For downloading, I did this.

https://tvm1xj.axshare.com/#g=1&p=download_simulation

It gets the idea across while ensuring to the user (who might be a random user-testing person) that we’re not actually downloading a file to their machine.

How to demo a .ICS download

Hi @PabloBold can i get your rp file? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Here you go.

download-simulation.rp (59.6 KB)

closed #6

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.