Team Library / Widget Styles not updating correctly

technical-troubleshooting

Hi there, I am having issues setting up a team library for future projects.

Our setup
We are working with multiple team accounts and have the lastest Axure RP9 installed on both PC and Mac. Everything is up-to-date. (not beta-channel)

What we want
One team library that can be included in multiple team projects. If there are changes to the team library, all projects are updated automatically. Say, if a widget style for a library widget is changed, ALL the corresponding widgets will become the updated style.

What I did
I created a new workspace and a new team library from Account A on Mac. I tested with a handful of widgets. I loaded the team library in a new team project. I added those widgets. Nothing else was done in the team project.
I went back to the library and made changes to the widget styles (background color).

My problem
The library gets updated automatically just fine, the preview of the widget shows the new color. BUT: when I drag a new widget on the stage, it still has the old color. AND: all previously used widgets also still have the old color.

What I tried
I went to a PC and tried with Account B to edit those. Now when I update only the background color (and not the widget style), the library changes will affect the background color for any new element. One step closer.
But: when I update the widget style in the library and check in, any new widget is now added with the ORIGINAL background color, which is neither in the widget background color, nor the widget styles, nor the preview in the library.
And “Get all changes” also has no effect.

This seems to be really buggy. I would like a way to work on the widgets and their styles on a single library file, and then propagate those changes to the projects in the same workspace. We want to set up our widget library for common elements. And say, the customer decides he doesn’t like blue anymore but is now more into green, then we could change that for all the projects.

How do I set this up correctly?

Thanks! Kathrin

hi @kscherlebeck,
I experience the very same issue and I think it is a BUG

I found the following workaround:

1. go to the Widget style manager
  2. select the style you want to update
  3. delete it
  4. the style will turn red (is missing)
  5. if your widget is already updated in the library, you can drag in your project and all the instances that have that specific style should get updated now.

This is the only way it was working for me and you have to do it with every single element separately. :frowning:

Ideally, there should be an option in Widget Style Manager to update the stiles globally (all at once) (@axure please fix it!)

Hi Karel,

Currently the behavior you guys are seeing with widget styles is expected; when a widget from a library is dragged into a target file, that widget style as it currently exists in the widget library is added to the target file. If the widget style in the widget library then gets updated, then when a new instance of a widget is dragged from the updated library into the same target file the widget will show the version of the widget style that currently exists in the target file, as opposed to overriding it with the updated style. If you want to update the widget style that exists in the target file, then using “File > Import from RP File” should allow you to select and import the desired updated widget style into the target file.

I do see however how it would be useful to have the style update everywhere where it was used. I’m happy to pass this along to the product team on your behalf for consideration. Feel free to submit any additional feedback or feature requests on this over to support@axure.com, which is the easiest way to ensure that your feedback reaches the product team. Thanks!

unlisted #4

Hi Alyssa,

with all respect, this really is NOT the solution. Using “File > Import from RP File” means to go through around 12 steps (pages, masters, actions, views, configurations, page notes, widget notes, page styles, widget styles, variables, summary) and this is really inconvenient for daily work.
We need a one-step button to update the styles. (Check other applications like Adobe XD how they do it). Thanks!