Dynamic Teasers with Referenced Content

advanced-prototyping
repeater-widget

Hey folks,

I have a hard time figuring out the best way to deal with dynamic elements which should have master features. Let me explain:

Imagine there is a teaser module on every page of the site. The teaser module consists of three teasers and each teaser links to a specific page. In my example, the teasers on page 1 link to the pages 2.3, 3.2 and 3.4. The teasers on page 2.3 link to the pages 2.1, 2.2 and 3.2:

https://6bq6no.axshare.com

A single teaser (for example the teaser which links to 3.2) can be appear on any page of the whole website, because it can appear in the teaser module.

The prototype will be filled with proto-content sooner or later. The problem: If the title text for the teaser 3.2 changes, you have to look at every page, if the the teaser is there and you have to modify it manually. It would be great, if there is a way to change the text globally and on every page where the teaser 3.2 is placed, it would be updated.

Earlier, I tried to use Global Variables combined with a Repeater build up by a Master – which defined the teaser’s appearance. But I could not make it work.

Can anybody help?

Thank you in advance!

Here is the .rp-file:
Dynamic-Teasers.rp (120.9 KB)

Sorry I don’t have time for a detailed reply, but it seems like you need to put each teaser into it’s own master? So you would have a ‘teaser 3.2’ master, which you then place on all the pages you need it. Then you can just edit the master when you need to change the contents of every ‘teaser 3.2’.

Have I got the right idea?

I haven‘t thought about a Master in a Master. Nice idea!
I will try that and keep you guys posted…

I’ve created a general Master and used it for creating Masters for the example links: 2.1 and 2.3.

The Global Variables for 2.1 are:

• “linkTitle21”
  • “linkLabel21”

(For 2.3 respectively, “linkTitle23” and “linkLabel23”)

I’m facing two problems:

1. It appears that I cannot use the Global Variables as Overrides for the Master – like [[linkTitle21]]. Is there a specific command to use a Global Variable as an input for a Master override?
  2. If you click on Link 2.1, the page 2.1 has to be opened. How can I dynamically reference in the Master?

https://6bq6no.axshare.com/#id=l277hk&p=2&g=1

Can anyone help?

Dynamic-Teasers.rp (148.7 KB)

I’ve tried another approach, which works ok, but nevertheless I think there should be a more streamlined approach for this… :confused:

I’ve put the main appearance in a Master and wrapped a Dynamic Panel around the Master. Now, as a Dynamic Panel, I can reference a particular page – for example 2.3 (if clicked -> open page 2.3). And also: I can set the Global Variables as text for the Overrides of the Master (when DP loaded -> set text to Global Variable). All the information sits on the DP (open link + set text) – besides the Global Variables for the label and the title.

If I have to change the text of the label and/or title of each teaser, I need to do it only once in the Global Variables:

https://efb120.axshare.com/

Dynamic-Teasers_v2.rp (167.5 KB)

If anybody knows an easier approach, I’ll be glad to know it.