Full browser width image grid

Hello, Happy New Year!

Before Christmas I was trying to create a prototype with various full width elements. One element is a fullwidth row of images - see the three horizontal images in - these should stretch to 100% of browser width.

I’m hoping someone from Axure might be able to jump on here and let me know whether there is a straightforward, easily reproducible way of making this happen in Axure - without having to resort to lots of code/workarounds.

I’m currently on the free trial, and as I do a lot of fullwidth stuff, finding an easy solution to this is key to a purchasing descision.

gen1n very helpfully gave me some suggestions in an earlier post (Full width menu bar / logo). But it felt like lots of hard work, and after spending quite a bit of time on it, I still didn’t achieve exactly what I was looking for.

I can’t help think there must be an easier way? - I imagine it’s a pretty frequent design pattern…

Thanks!
Sarah

Hi Sarah,

For this, I would suggest using a widget group. What you’ll want to do is group the three images so they can be treated as a single widget. Then, under the OnWindowResize event, set the group’s width to [[Window.width]]. The group will stretch out to fill the width of the browser window, and the contained images will be resized automatically.

It’s worth noting, though, that this alone will not maintain the group’s starting aspect ratio. To do that, you’ll need to set the group’s height to [[Window.width*(StartingHeight/StartingWidth)]].

Putting these together, this is what the “Set Size” action for the images in your file would look like:

Notice that I’ve also set up a few other actions in this case.

The “Hide” and “Show” actions sandwiching the “Set Size” action are there to ensure that the content below the images moves up and down on the page as the image group is resized, thus maintaining a set distance between the images and the content below them. This “push/pull sandwich” takes advantage of the “push” and “pull” options available in “Show” and “Hide” actions, which you can read about here: Push/Pull and Groups

The “Move” action accounts for the fact that your page content is center-aligned. On a left-aligned page, the X coordinate is equal to 0 at the left edge of the browser window, so any widgets at X=0 on the RP canvas will hug the left edge of the browser window. On a center-aligned page, however, the X coordinate is equal to 0 somewhere in the middle of the browser window, depending on how wide your page content is on the RP canvas. As such, if you want a widget to hug the left edge of the browser window, you need to move it to an appropriate negative X value with the expression -[[(Window.width-ContentWidth)/2]]. In your file, it looks like this:

(Note: Once you’re more comfortable with Axure RP expressions, I would suggest using variables in place of the hard-coded numerical values I’ve used in these examples.)

I’ve attached an edited version of your RP file demonstrating this setup. Take a look, and let me know if you have any questions.

Also, just as a reminder: The Axure RP forum is primarily community-driven. Though we at Axure will occasionally step in to help out, the vast majority of queries will be handled by our knowledgeable and experienced user community. As such, if you need a direct response from an Axure teammate, try emailing us at support@axure.com instead of posting on the forum. We answer most emails same-day, often within a few hours of receiving them!
100% width images_EDIT.rp (76.1 KB)

Hi Anthony,

Sorry it’s taken so long, but just to say thank you for your detailed explanation. I appreciate it!

In the end I’m afraid I’ve decided to opt for prototyping directly in the browser, as it seemed simpler - but thank you anyway.

Best wishes,
Sarah

Hello,

Is it possible for the images to respond to the adaptive views?
For example:
On desktop (1200px width) the images are on one row, 3 images
On a tablet (768px width) the images will form 2 rows, one row with 2 images and another row with 1 image
On mobile (320px width) the images will form 3 rows, with one image on each.

I really appreciate this,

Travis Roberts

Hi Travis!

If you’re using adaptive views, this should be fairly easy to set up. Starting from the Base/Desktop view, place the three images into one row. Then, switch over to the Tablet view and rearrange the images into two rows. Last, switch over to the Mobile view and rearrange the images into three rows.

Do note that location, size, style, and interaction styles can vary across adaptive views, while widget text, interactions, and selected/disabled by default do not. You can read more about that here:

https://www.axure.com/support/reference/adaptive-views#adaptive_and_nonadaptive_properties_and_attributes

ImageAVs.rp (344.3 KB)

Cool, thanks for letting me know. I will try this out.