If Axure is not closed cleanly. File is loses all data

rp-7

With the last few versions of the Version 7 beta there has been a disturbing loss of all work within a file if the file was open when the computer has been shut down.

Anyone on windows unfortunately will have this happen if a file is left open, as windows will routinely shut down and restart the Os to update.

When you open the file that was open, it is like opening a new file. Empty except for the home and a couple of pages.

The ‘recovery’ feature however has meant nothing much was in fact gone forever.

It is still disturbing that when a file is not shut down cleanly, the saved file loses ALL data.

Hi maakbow,

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been losing your work! Something fishy might be going on here… the most recent updates of Axure RP shouldn’t have caused this, so it’s possible that something external could be the culprit. One possibility might be another application deleting contents in Axure RP’s temporary folders, but I have a few questions for you that might help us get a better idea of what’s going on here.

1. When you open the previously saved file after an improper closure of Axure RP, is the sitemap reset to the default structure (i.e. Home, Page 1, Page 2, Page 3) or are your old pages still there but missing all the content?

2. It sounds like the “Recover File from Backup” feature is also resulting in blank files–is that correct? If so, is this true of all recent backups of the file, or only the most recent one?

3. Can you think of other changes that were made to your PC (e.g. installing new software) around the time that you started to notice this loss of work?

Thanks!

Answers

1. When the file is opened, the pages are set to default pages.
  2. “Recover File from Backup” fortunattely has worked.
  3. No i don’t think anything has changed. Especially nothing that would delete specific files

Hmm, I will admit this one is bizarre–we haven’t been able to reproduce this outcome with a Windows Update restart. I am glad to hear that the backup feature is working properly for you in the meantime though!

Where do you store your saved .rp files (e.g. locally, on a shared network drive, Dropbox, etc.)? Is there anything unique about your file system setup?

Also, can you post one of the affected newly-blank .rp files? We’ll take a look and see if there’s any data in them that can shed some light on this. Thanks!

Thanks Julie

The files are local, they are checked out to local via SVN but I cant see how that would have any affect on the file.

I have deleted the empty files but if this happens again I will send

I just had the same issue, I saved it in my local drive, it was a team project, but didn’t publish or share it. After saving it, I closed the computer and opened this morning only to find the project was created yesterday and is in under My Projects in share.axure.com. But when I opened it it’s empty, everything is gone just the default empty pages.

Hi,

For those of you who may be following along at home, Ishrat wrote into the support desk and was able to move forward with recreating his project. If anyone else happens to be running into issues with your files appearing empty, it may be a good idea to check for any file cleaners, syncing applications, or antivirus programs running on your machine that may be affecting the directories where the files are being saved.

As always, we’ll also be available at support@axure.com if you need assistance!

unlisted #8