Multi-select dropdown menu

Hello lovely people!

Has anyone created a multi-select dropdown menu, without creating a too complicated custom menu? I am using Axure 9 and I can’t seem to find any way to do it, instead, the user can only choose ‘all’, or one of the options presented.

I would like the user to be able to choose any random items from the presented options within the dropdown menu. For example, if there are 10 options in the menu, then I’d like them to be able to choose all through the ‘All’ selection, or just one item, or items 2, 5, 8 and 10 for instance.

Thank you in advance for anyone’s suggestions!

Creating personalized news articles

A quick search in this forum for “multi-select” finds a number of threads with good solutions:
https://forum.axure.com/search?q=multi-select

…but perhaps most of these are what you consider “a too complicated custom menu”. The gold standard for this is to use a Repeater, and that can be complicated to learn–but for your requirements (multiple selection, selecting all) I would say it is easier than without a Repeater.

Maybe this solution posted by an Axure support rep is the simplest solution for a multi-select list, but it does not support “select all” functionality, nor does it allow you to know if one or multiple selections made, nor does it allow you to know which options were selected–only the topmost selected item (e.g., if you have a list of Apple, Banana, Carrot, and first select “Carrot” the Selected Option value is “Carrot”, then if you Ctrl+Click “Apple” to select both, the Selected Option changes to “Apple”. However, if you select “Apple”, then select “Carrot” the Selected Option remains as “Apple”.)

I made every attempt I could think of to determine a selection state of one versus more than one item in a List Box, and ways it could be faked, but could not achieve something that works. I’d love to see it if someone’s figured it out…

Here is a demonstration of the Droplist widget vs. List Box attempt at a multi-select List Box vs a custom droplist built with a Repeater.
droplist-multiselect-methods.rp (74.3 KB)

If you are in need of a simple or starter multiselect, Axure 9 actually comes with one. Just expose the library dropdown list and choose the “Sample UI Patterns” library. It’s on the top line.

I’ve been using Axure 9 since it came out and I didn’t know about this myself until today lol.

I hope this helps you get started.