Multi Select Keyboard Modifier Changed… WHY?

In all previous versions, in order to select multiple components individually (on macOS), the method was the same. Hold down CMD and click with the mouse to select/de-select the components you want. This has been changed in RP 10 so that holding CMD clears your last selection and selects only the widget you just clicked. The new method is that you have to hold SHIFT while clicking additional components.

It’s hard to imagine why this change would be necessary but maybe there is some awesome reason for doing it. In the meantime, any of your longtime users who rely on keyboard modifiers are going to have to retrain our hands to do the exact same action as before, just using a different modifier key.

In general, holding SHIFT while selecting is meant to extend the previous selection to include the current object, and all objects in between. The CMD key is the time-honored modifier to make sparse selections.

Please revert this to the traditional usage for the sake of your existing user base, or at least give us an option to revert the selection behavior to how it was in the past. I am probably not alone in not wanting to retrain my fingers for a change that gives no advantage over the previous method and is in fact counterintuitive.

I’ve noticed that too and wonder about it as well :). It does add a little bit of a hurdle when you know how to do something and then it changes and you need to adjust.

OMG yes. Plus 1 from me.

Any response from Axure on this? The latest UX is still requiring Shift key as modifier for multi-select.

Hello everyone, I hope you are having a wonderful day and thank you for voicing your thoughts and feedback on RP hotkeys. To follow up on this thread and your thoughts, we agree with you, and for that reason in an upcoming build of RP 10 we will be changing our hotkeys to better align with how you are used to using RP. For a quick description of the changes please refer below for the updated Mac/PC hotkeys.

Currently

• CMD/CTRL = Deep Select widgets in groups or Dynamic Panel
  • CMD + OPT and CTRL ALT = Drag Widgets in or out of Dynamic Panel
  • CMD/CTRL + Shift = Multi-select Widgets within groups or Dynamic Panel states

Updated State

• CMD/CTRL = normal multi-select
  • CMD OPT and CTRL ALT = Deep Select widgets in groups or Dynamic Panel and Drag Widgets in/out of Dynamic Panel
  • CMD/CTRL + Shift - No Change
  • CMD+OPT+Shift and CTRL+ALT+Shift = Multi-select Widgets within groups or Dynamic Panel state

Hi Raleigh,

Thanks a lot for this update. The hot keys you mention are most likely easier to use as you say. However, the original post was about the modifier key for multi select with a mouse. On Mac, it was previously Cmd but was changed to Shift. It just wasn’t clear why the change was needed.

That said, these months later I have retrained my fingers to the new style. It would be great to go back to the old style but by now it’s probably fine either way.

Thanks for the update on other modifier keys, though.