Push / Pull Issue - can't figure what's wrong out

I’m building a navigation and struggling to understand what’s wrong with a project I’m working on.

If I expand the following elements in the prototype below in the following order:

1. Expand “Claimants”
  2. Expand “Bills”
    …a huge space appears out of nowhere, breaking the prototype. If I try any other combination, I don’t seem to get this problem. No matter how I group these elements I keep getting the same result and it’s just incinerating time trying to understand why this is happening.

Does anyone know why this is occurring? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Prototype: https://rs9bkl.axshare.com/#id=fsq2t6&p=fusion_exploration_1

troubleshooting.rp (439.5 KB)

It would help if you could post your .rp source file so forum users can see exactly what’s going on with your code.

In the meantime, it looks to me like the gap–that huge space–is the same height as the contents of “Claimants”–everything from “My Claimants List” to “Strummer, Joe”. So, it might be that your “parent/child” relationships and/or the stack order is not set correctly, such that Axure thinks the “Recent Items” block is actually below the “My Claimants List” block and thus should be pushed down that far when “My Claimants List” is visible. …Just a guess.

I think it’s to do with the nested menus you have, however as mbc says, hard to tell without looking at the source file

Thanks - I added the source file - couldn’t figure out how to do that here initially.

As I have things grouped I’m a little confused how the hierarchy has to work - let me know if that file tells more of the story - greatly appreciated!

Edit - Still can’t find any solution at all to this :frowning:

Your file is a little confusing :grinning:

You seem to have independent actions on the button versus the carat symbol, as opposed to grouping them. Do you want different behaviour depending on whether the user clicks the Claimant button versus the carat next to the button?

I’m not sure why you’re checking the status of the carat, as opposed to having a page variable for whether menus are open or not.

Can you describe exactly what behaviour you’re expecting the menu to have?

Yeah - this was early in the work - this prototype is going to have a lot of things going on. Would take quite a long time to explain why I built it like this and all the functionality I ultimately need to demonstrate to the teams - but I admit it’s a little weird at a glance.

If this thread doesn’t result in a solution for the space issue described I may try again with an updated prototype that is more developed from a functionality perspective and would make more sense. I did use some local variables later.

Oddities aside - I still can’t see anything wrong with the hierarchy and grouping I used for the push/pull behavior though even in this version. I’ve refined this more since ensuring everything is in perfect order - but still hasn’t solved the issue :frowning:

I did a little searching on the forum and apparently this is a known bug/limitation of Axure when push/pulling nested groups or dynamic panels. This thread has a description and workaround:

Applying the “sandwich method” to your code seems to work, but wasn’t that intuitive to figure out, and I wouldn’t look forward to trying to extend this for a more complex or longer menu (Repeaters work better for this, in my opinion.) I ended up changing the “Caret - Bills” code to use the Panel State Changed event to add a condition that tests if “Claimants Nav Group” is visible–if so it hides it, then shows “Bills Nav Group”, then shows “Claimants Nav Group”.

troubleshooting (1).rp (441.0 KB)

Thanks very much. I’m anxious to look at this. I wound up giving up in a couple spots of the prototype on push/pull and going with “Move” with fixed coordinates to get rid of the bugs but will revisit and see if I can get anything fixed with what you’ve suggested. Much appreciated!

closed #9

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.