What does the project ppi setting mean/do?

advanced-prototyping

I’m very confused about the DPI settings in Axure (Project settings). What exactly should I expect them to do and how should I set them? So far I have left them always at the default (72) which I presume means 72ppi. When I look at this (rather cool) site: DPI love it tells me that my screen is at 149ppi. So what effect does the 72ppi setting mean? Is there some way of catering for different screen resolutions?
And why do we specify sizes in px? This is never used in the HTML/CSS which is always based on relative sizes - though the relative sizes always seem to be relative to a size in px (typically 16px) rather than a physical measurement which would seem more logical in some ways.

Font Size on iOS

Hi martink,

The DPI setting in Axure RP is just a preference for how you want to see your font sizes. Font sizes are converted to pixels by default on generation, which is why Axure RP’s default DPI is set to 72 so that your font sizes are basically in pixels (13pt = 13px at 72 DPI). This means that the font size you see in Axure RP (e.g. 13pt) is what you see in the generated output (e.g. 13px). If you change the DPI to 96, for example, then you’ll see that the same 13pt font size will change to 9.75pt in the font size droplist in Axure RP, but the actual size of the font will stay the same and the generated output will still show the font as 13px.

This thread is a bit old, but might help to answer some of your questions about DPI settings in Axure RP.

closed #3

unlisted #4