Click through to select next widget underneath

I can’t exactly remember if this was a function previously available in Axure or another app, but I can’t seem to click through widgets to select a specific one underneath. I have to go to the outline to select lower arranged widgets. Can someone confirm this is missing?

Copy Paste the Styles for Interaction "Mouse Over", "Selected", "Focus". Other found issues

This changed a bit as of build 3619. In previous versions, you could do a slow double-click to get to the lower widget. Now instead, there’s a right-click option for “Select Widget” (at the top of the context menu) so that you can choose which widget you were aiming for. I’ll let the team know that you were confused by the change, and am here to listen if you or others have further feedback about it.

Gotcha. I think having the Select Widget option in the contextual menu is fine, though I don’t see the need to remove the ability to click through. Unless there was some issue around mouse selection that interfered with it?

No technical limitations, but a preference to try out a more predictable pattern (and see how painful it is to adjust for those who were used to the old behavior).

I think with PS you can right-click to see a contextual menu of the list of layers, but they don’t show any other options in it. With Illustrator and InDesign, right-clicking shows a normal contextual menu with no layer selection, but you can command-click on that point to cycle through the different layers. Sketch uses the same behavior as RP9. Invision doesn’t have any selection through the menu or via shortcuts from what I can tell.

If you need to make a compromise, maybe command-click would work? I want the ability to cycle through layers quickly especially if it’s just 2 or 3 layers deep. But if you say there are no technical limitations then it seems like you can use both the click and the contextual menu.

Hi @Rachel Is there a way to go back to the slow double click drilling us through the widget outline. I totally thought this was a bug and instinctively tried @pixeler 's command>click approach hoping that would drill me through. The context menu is kind of a hassle.

There’s not a setting to change this behavior, but this is useful feedback, thanks. I’ll talk to the team.

Just downloaded the lastest build… thanks for putting it back in! :grinning:

I still can’t seem to click through widgets to select a specific one underneath.

Is this functionality removed again?

Nope, it’s still there. You have to keep clicking slowly in order to cycle through the widgets that are on top of each other.

In Axure RP9 the editor UI has changed quite a bit, but regardless in RP8 or RP9 I recommend trying the method of selecting stacked widgets via the Outline panel. The “slow click/double-click” method seems to work a little differently in RP9, likely because of the “edit in place” feature for dynamic panels and groups, so I tend to “dive into” panels accidentally instead of being able to select the widget behind, and I have to pay attention to when I should click vs double-click. Also, it seems to go only so far deep… I can select up to 5 widgets behind, but not the 6th (can’t recall actual number of layers and this does seem to be fixed in RP9 as long as you click slow enough…) So, I’ve found it faster and easier to double-click once in the Outline panel to select my “buried” widgets instead of many clicks directly on the page. Of course, naming all my widgets helps greatly with this.

Thanks! Clicking slowly seems to do the trick

Selecting the stacked widgets via the outline panel is great unless you don’t name each and every widget. For me double clicking to get to the widget underneath just works faster while designing.