Create left menu CSS navigation to call prototype pages

I would like to create and use a CSS and/or CSS & JavaScript based left navigation menu within my prototype. I believe I could create a menu structure in an HTML page and then pull this into the prototype through an i-frame. In order to do this I need to know how to call my prototype pages from the menu items. Also I would need to mark the menu item as ‘active’ so that the active item can have a different styling. Is this even possible in Axure RP9?

Why would you not create a navigation using Axure widgets and link to pages in your prototype? You can use Masters and Master Views to define a global navigation. You can also use PageLoad interactions to define the state of a navigation master on each page.

I created a CSS menu and put a lot of work into it. I was just curious if it was even possible. I have an accordion menu I created for my existing prototype, but as I keep adding sub-menus to it I am wondering if there is an easier way. I have found an online menu creation engine and was just curious if there was a way to call the prototype pages.

A published Axure file can iFrame in elements from elsewhere, but it’s always going to be in an isolated container - you wouldn’t be able to have elements from within an iFrame overlapping with anything in your prototype.

As for linking to pages within the prototype, every page has its own URL, so you could add these to your CSS menu I think. However this would effectively reload your prototype every time, so would prevent you from using global variables etc.

Thanks Dave. I think I will just keep doing what I am doing. What I have works well, but I was just trying to see if I could streamline the menu management process.