Future of Axure RP 10 and beyond?!

I read this somewhere but cannot find it again, “If you are using a license key for Axure RP, you will need to purchase a subscription for RP10 when it is released.”

Does this mean that Axure has made the strategic decision to abandon full licenses from now on, and that only a subscription model will be available from Axure RP10 onwards?

I certainly hope not. I love Axure and have been a supporter of it from the beginning. A subscription model does not work for my business where I have sporadic projects throughout the year. I may have only 2-4 projects in a year and would not like to have to pay for a subscription for the entire 12 months, just to be able to open my Axure files.

The argument that I would only have to pay for a subscription for the months that I use it, does not hold either. That is because I cannot review any of my Axure documents unless I have the working product.

For a similar reason, many left Photoshop as it made no sense to them to have to pay an ongoing subscription (forever) just to be able to open and review THEIR files. If Axure follows this model, and considering that it doesn’t have “sketch mode” etc and is starting to look like many other subscription applications, then I am not sure what differentiates Axure from the others.

I love AXURE and always have. So I implore you to keep the licensed option moving forward. Resist the temptation to change. It’s only money and if you do your calculations right in terms of license pricing, then you will only be in front. Please consider.

Regards,
David

My company has made upgrades possible fo Axure 8->9 and may this will also work for 10. But buying a subscription is something they would never do.

_

Com uma enorme concorrência crescente neste mercado, não parece sensato migrar para o modelo de pagamento mensal. A empresa parece desconhecer o seus usuários, e como usamos o Axure RP. Infelizmente onde eu trabalho não vai migrar para o 10 pois este modelo é inviável.

_

With huge growing competition in this market, it does not seem wise to switch to the monthly payment model. The company seems to be unaware of its users, and how we use Axure RP. Unfortunately where I work I will not migrate to 10 because this model is not viable.

Agreed - I stopped using ALL Adobe products because the subscription model is only for the benefit of Adobe and not the customer. It is inherently unfair and I will never use another Adobe product that I cannot buy and own. (ironically for Axure, a terrible user experience).
If this is true then Axure would be going from a VERY competitive market place and doing a very poor job or marketing to hammering a large nail in the coffin of Axure. I hope they are not taking a subscription model as I will not be able to support this for me or my team.

Fully agree. So sad to hear this. I liked Axure too, but we use it only occasionally. The UX guys are all using Adobe XD now, but every now and then I show them the power of Axure in an attempt to lure them back. We keep a couple of Axure licenses around, but no way I am going to convince the company to buy subscriptions. Guess that will be the end of it. :disappointed_relieved:

While I understand the sentiment, how is this different that subscribing to Sketch or figma. (Well I know sketch’s model is u pay for perpetual usage of what ever was the last version released during your subscription). but pretty much all design tools except for Affinity’s are subscription model

uelsimon I think you have missed the point and you have answered your own question on how this is different to others eg Sketch - Sketch has a perpetual license ($99 one-time payment), and I note that it only works on Mac.

But the issue is bigger than that as the previous comments explain in detail.

I believe that Axure will lose many of its loyal customers, myself included, as this proposed new pricing model does not work for us. Not being able to open our own an Axure files months later unless we continue with ongoing payments, or alternatively to pay a ransom just to be able to open our files in the future, is not tenable for me and many others like me.

If Axure proceeds with this, it will be a decision simply based on how to increase profits. This is therefore purely a money grab unfortunately. That is fair for a corporation to make decisions on that basis, however it does nothing to support their current and previous long-time loyal customer base. There are options to support these people as well as allowing Axure to continue to expand to larger and new markets. Perhaps Axure does not need their little loyal guys any longer. That’s what it feels like unfortunately.

We sincerely hope that Axure management do not go down this path.

ok I hear you. I hadn’t heard anything with respect to how the subscription and usage would work form Axure so I have no comment on that at this point. It would make sense to me to do a hybrid where as long as ur subscription is current, you get the latest updates, and once your subscription lapses, you no longer receive updates, but your last released version still works. which would essentially be the exact same thing as what Sketch does.

I’m not an adobe user. (ever since they screwed up every thing Macromedia gave them), so I don’t know how that works. I’m all Affinity (designer,photo, publisher) for the same subscription reason listed above.

Additionally Axure could also do like Microsoft Office. while you are subscribed, you can edit files. while you are not in an active subscription, you can only view. which would address your issue raised above about being able to open your files.

So ya, I haven’t heard anything w.r.t how exactly the subscription approach is going to work (link me if there is info posted somewhere about it). But my point above is…subscription isn’t always a bad thing… it allows for a more predictable revenue projections, which will ensure that resources go into continuing to develop and sustain the Axure ecosystem. I struggle to really think of very many things in life right now that are NOT subscription model… (rent, car lease, phone payments, Spotify, Netflix, etc), and in most cases the small payments over time vs the large upfront payment lowers the barrier for access for many.

I admit, it isn’t always comfortable for these kinds of changes…and depending on your usage, you may decide to move to another tool and thats fine. moving to the tool that best supports your process is usually the right move.

If nothing significant changes in the pricing model and the current update, I’ll probably end my 13-year friendship with Axure.
Here are just a few of my most important reasons:

Many of the adjustments to basic functions that have been demanded over the years have not been addressed. And I certainly don’t just mean my requirements.
To name a few examples:

• It took forever until bullet points finally worked, but then not as usual but with an unnecessary indentation.
  • Padding still has to be set individually for each axis.
  • Often demanded, never implemented is also the wish that when duplicating several times, it is displayed if the distances are identical. Almost every UX tool can do this now.

The thread for feature requests was discontinued and reference made to the function in Axure. This is a no-go for me, requirements should be able to be viewed and discussed by users and Axure should be transparent about why and by when they are implementing something and why something is not. This is crucial for the quality of a software…

Since version 8, nothing innovative has been added, it’s just smaller function updates, bug fixes and multiple failed updates to the UI, which then had to be corrected again bit by bit. And even in version 10 there are no significant innovations that could make me switch to an expensive subscription model.

In fact, I even understand why they want to earn money with Axure again now, after even major updates were free. But at the moment it’s not worth $300 a year to me, even though I work with it professionally. Of course, everyone has to decide for themselves, and maybe I’ll change my mind.

I stopped using ALL Adobe software when they went to a subscription model. It is impractical, and just like automated answering services, it talks about being a better user experience but it’s only better for the business and the short sighted accountants who assess everything with a spreadsheet.
I love Axure. Yes, sure, it needs better UX (ironically) but it is the only tool that allows me to create prototypes that deliver on their purpose: to allow functional testing in a lifelike way (unlike tools like Figma, which are little more than glorified page click throughs).
However, Axure’s marketing is dire and their competitors are killing them (not least because of UI designers calling themselves UX/UI or product designers with no UX skills at all) with products that remind designers of, well, just more visual design tools, because that’s what they are (InVision, Sketch, Figma, etc).
UXTools.co did a survey (see image) - this was the “What tool do you use for prototyping?” results from over 3000 UXers:
UX Tool Survey

Axure, being the only real prototyping tool available, had a pitiful market share and was less popular than Adobe XD. It ranked 8th and this should ring massive alarm bells for Axure.
So, what do Axure do? They make their new software subscription! Genius. In a market where you’re being beaten, discourage new and existing advocates from using your software.
So I thought, maybe it’s just me who has a visceral objection to paying a subscription for software that I want to own. I ran a quick survey on LinkedIn open to UXers. Here are the results:
Subscription software poll

If Axure are not happy in 8th place then that’s going to look like they’ve won an Oscar once version 10 ships as subscription only.

I will not pay for a subscription for Axure. My company will not pay subscription charges for Axure and clearly the majority of UXers feel the same way.

Axure, please take note. Don’t go the way of Flash.

@SeanMcSharry great post on the subject.

Perhaps a few additions to this:
My impression is that a paradigm shift has already taken place in the UX field, at least that’s what I conclude from my projects. And the survey mentioned above also underlines this:
Since we are increasingly filling the web with standardised building blocks, classic mockups are less and less in demand, and certainly not any interactive mockups. What’s the point of another concept if it’s already established anyway.

With these changed requirements, the concept of a page can also be done by the designer or, vice versa, the design can be done by the conceptual designer. Or just from the “UX designer”. And Figma & Co are perfectly suited for this, no Axure is needed.
Many clients do not realise that this can lead to poorer quality. Often the experts demands are higher than those of the client :wink:
And usability tests often only serve to confirm an existing concept.

If it does become more demanding, i.e. new processes, elements or functions are added or a client has a lot of money to test already established elements (for example, a navigation system or an order process), then in my experience HTML tools such as Webflow are increasingly used. Or only static screens are shown and everything is explained in detail to the test person.
Or A/B testing tools are used when a website already exists.

I have the impression that Axure is still used more often in software development, but here, too, frameworks and technologies are increasingly being used in the run-up to development that enable rapid prototyping and, at the same time, the reuse of the sources.

These “trends” will certainly not make things easier for Axure.
And with the introduction of a rental model, many other software producers have already scared away their customers.
But I have never seen such a model corrected because of protests, so I am pessimistic.
There will probably only be a drop in turnover at the beginning, or maybe none at all, because the subscription model will compensate for it.

Feature requests at the competition:

Figma:

Invision:

Adobe XD (this is how I find it best):
https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/filters/hot
Principle:

ProtoPie:
https://protopie.canny.io/feature-requests
Axure:
support@axure.com
The thread for feature requests was closed the year before last, since then we have been allowed to send all our requests by email to Axure. What a waste of resources and how poor for a software that is dedicated to UX…

There is a nice article discussing the fall of InVision:
https://uxdesign.cc/the-precipitous-rise-of-figma-and-fall-of-invision-435f07e8d1b6

Unfortunately, I see similarities. Just like you guys.

Just received mass marketing email from Axure confirming no perpetual licences any more.

That’s it. I I’m leaving Axure after over 15 years. It feels like yesterday that I paid over $500 for RP9 and I expected it to last for a significant time - considering the previous timings between RP6, RP7, and RP9 - but no. What a waste giving Axure my support as I feel abandoned. I cannot use anything but the current product for my clients, it’s too much of a risk.

So it’s a sad goodbye to Axure forever.

This is my reply to their email offering a first year discount on their annual subscription. They probably won’t read it, and certainly won’t care about losing a long time customer, that much is clear from their change in corporate behaviour over the last year or two. Today is a sad day.

Dear Axure team.

No thank you.

This new pricing model will mean the end of my connection with Axure after many many years using, loving, and promoting your product to others.

Good luck to you all. And goodbye.
—–

I’ve been using Axure since 2006, that makes me an Axure user for 15 years! In 2016 I bought it because I was freelancing and felt it would be a value-add. For me, Axure was the best wireframing tool and is the best prototyping tool. Often I would promote Axure to client’s and in-house teams because of the prototyping and value there-of. I’m afraid with the subscription-only options for 10+ I won’t be upgrading - I despise software subscriptions and they simply do not work for me. I abanonded Adobe for the same reasons and never looked back. If needed I will just subscribe as I need Axure and leave it to my clients and employers to provide me a license if my 9 Pro won’t work.

Sorry to see Axure go this route. If Figma can get prototyping to the same level as Axure, Axure is history. Cutting out license owners like they are doing is just bad business. Good Luck it was nice being a customer. I will keep using 9 until I can’t and then by then probably moved onto Figma. Prototyping is a hard sell anyway and if Axure is going to treat it’s customers so poorly like this then I simply will move on from it in all regards.

some thoughts to consider in the midst of ‘Axure is gonna lose me’ lamentations…

1. Axure is a product and a business. anyone who runs a product business will prolly understand that the more predictable your revenues, the more sustainable you can plan for your business to be around in the future. 1-time upfront pricing is sadly bad for that unless u are an apple releasing a new device every year. (physical product). But for software…the standard is no longer one time pricing. I think anyone complaining about the subscription model, need to also consider this. What if Axure can’t survive much longer in our ooh shiny of UX tools world where user migration is easy? So RP9 may be your last version…and then you will move to …another subscription tool (Figma…is the one I see mentioned most often). Sooo you prove their point by making your own. right?

2. someone posted a pic above with all the UX tools. can someone list the ones that do NOT do subscription pricing? what does that imply to you?

3. subscriptions allow users to vote more aggressively with their dollars. IF I subscribe, and you aren’t giving me value I want…I stop my subscription and move to another tool that is. As a user, I have spent 3 months worth, vs hunderds of dollars. I’m not trapped into forcing myself to put up with a poor tool simply because I paid for it and I dont want to feel like I wasted my money or made a bad decision. Subscriptions put more power in our hands as users. IF you dont keep up with features, and user needs being answered, users will move to another tool. if you are… users will come to your tool. so in terms of the dialog between users and product, this is the better alternative.

Now…I understand and empathize with the shift in mindset and feeling like I’m getting taken advantage of by paying less every month than having to budget a large upfront cost, then being able to forget about it for the next few yrs. But honestly… I find less and less digital products/services operating on that 1 time payment model for some of the reasons listed above and more.

I think the real key here is around what happens when subscription is stopped. (can I still open with the last working version I had (like Sketch), or is there some other free viewer tool or viewer only feature (similar to O365) that I am to use. In any case, remember that as users. we can also come up with solutions in addition to railing on problems. That’s the whole point of the community. If we see something we don’t like…we let them know… and for those who are capable enough…we help raise ideas and solutions for the product team to consider. It may not be the right answer… but it may help lead to one.

The thought of Axure closing its doors, though… is not one I’m interested in seeing anytime soon. In fact, I want Axure to move more into the no code product building space. Allow me to link APIs to my prototypes, and export out code for platforms… that’d be nice. I’d subscribe the hell outta that! lol

The premise that Axure will “close its doors” if it does not move to a subscription model is simply wrong. And that other software companies have a subscription model, is not an argument for success. Look at the astronomical rise of Blackmagic Design’s DaVinci Resolve video editor as a modern case study.

I have been using Axure for 15 years and last year just paid around $500 outright for RP9.

The success of any software, service, or manufacturer is first based on whether they create and offer outstanding products and/or services. It is not whether they use a subscription model.

Having said that, Axure used to be an awesome product and the CEO and the founders used to listen to its customers for improvements. The resulting product became even better, with RP8 being the pinacle in terms of functionality, robustness, and maturity. No bugs in RP8 after many years of misteps. We stuck with Axure and put in hundreds of hours to help improve their product, at no charge, and everyone benefited.

Unfortunately over time this openness and transparent approach faded away - Axure stopped listening to their customers and at the same time over complicating their features and toolsets, eg Repeaters, and no easy way to input and upload data to a prototype during a session, etc

Many old and loyal customers are less than delighted and said so in the forums. So Axure’s management’s response was not to start listening again, but to shut down forum threads! Yet the loyal customers, like me, stayed on and continued to support the company’s product in action, and in words of support, and importantly to your point… financially.

By moving to a subscription model, and trying to reduce customers financial threshold to signing up to the product while simultaneously trying to establish a reliable ongoing source of income, it will unfortunately more likely become the Death Knell of Axure as the loyalists all leave.

The solution is simple. Give customers the choice of a subscription model, or a perpectual licence ($500 for two full version upgrades). Then focus on continuing to deliver awesome product versions into the future to keep their customers… OR, as you put it, Axure will be “closing its doors” sooner than later.

A lot of great speculation in this thread, which is fine and understandable. We can only build hypotheses based on our view of the world, but without Axure actually weighing in…it’s speculation and observation at best.

I can say I’ve had nothing but top tier support from Axure and I’ve seen my requests for bugs and features appear in updates and releases. so for where I’m sitting Axure has been extremely responsive and totally not as portrayed in your post. But that’s MY experience. As you’ve stated, your experience has been different. And that’s something Axure has to manage. (a consistent user experience)

the ‘success of any software, service, or manufacturer’ is actually only sustainable if they can find a sustainable business model. an outstanding product may get users in the door, but that’s not enough for the long haul. there’s a lot more that goes into a successful product beyond the product it self. (I can say that from MY experience). a smart company will evolve their business model as time goes because the market conditions also change. today may be one time payment, tomorrow subscriptions, next nfts, next revenue share, … etc, no one knows for sure. the best you can do, is observe and be flexible and responsive to what is happening around you…make the right decision for you and your company… before it’s too late. And sometimes the correct answer may very well be ‘change nothing’.

I am glad you offered up a solution in your final paragraph (Great Job)! You are clearly invested in Axure being around for a long time, and I’m with you on that. Heres to hoping they are at least reading our dialog and talking about it as they prepare for RP10’s launch.

P.S. And Axure…if you are reading this… how about leaving us a ‘like’ once in a while. :slight_smile:

I think we all understand Axure is a business and that a predictable income is essential for them. Nevertheless, a subscription-only model does only work for customers that rely on your product on a day-to-day basis. And even for some of those, they won’t go that route out of principle. If you only use the product every now and then, a subscription does not make any sense at all and So you will lose both these groups if you go for subscription only. To me it would make much more sense to offer both subscriptions and 1-time licenses.

As for the question about other tools without subscription, I’ve been recently looking at Quant UX. It’s a pretty new tool and different from Axure, but you can also do things with variables and stuff. in some aspects, it has much less features than Axure, but in other things, it has more and brilliant ideas. Feeding your prototype data from a rest service? Included. Support for testing your prototype (incl. heat maps, tasks, etc? included. Integrated A/B testing? Included. Price? Free! It’s open source. Not much people helping out yet, but if this is picked up by a community and gets more support, then where would that leave companies like Axure?

Agreed, Quant UX is showing a lot of promise.

It will be interesting to see how the results of the https://uxtools.co/survey-2020/ changes at the end of the year.