Typing when an object is selected is ignored

Steps:

1. Drag a label text item onto the page
  2. Start typing some text on your keyboard
    Result:
    Your typing has no effect
    Expected Result:
    As per previous versions, the selected item (in this case the label text) should switch into text edit mode and accept the text you are typing. The same interaction applies to any object that can accept text, including buttons, shapes, etc.

I don’t know if you have the latest build. But I saw something in the release notes that mentioned this being fixed. I tried it and it’s working for me.

Hi guys!

This is actually a new feature in the Axure RP 9 Beta, where we introduced single-key shortcuts, which you can read more about below:

That is, you can now click-drag to produce a shape after clicking on any of the mentioned shortcut keys:

R – rectangle mode
O – oval / ellipse / circle mode
T – text mode (drag to dynamically fill area with example text)
P – pen drawing mode
L – line mode

One additional thing that may help is hitting [enter] to type in the widget, if you wanted to stay in single-key mode. :slight_smile:

However, if you would like to restore the older, default behavior (as in Axure RP 8), you can go to “Axure RP 9 Beta > Preferences > Canvas” from the main menu, and de-select the “Enable Single Key Shortcuts” checkbox:

This will allow you to select a widget and start typing text to enable text-editing mode for that widget.

Missed Features from V8 and some improvements

Ahhh… Got it. 2 Kudos for you. One for the new feature, and another for allowing old timers to opt back to old behavior. I’ll give those shortcuts a chance to win me over for a while. :slight_smile:

@bedgin, thanks for catching this. @Jane_Axure I dont see this as a features, its a big no no.
Reasoning:

1. RP 9 Introduced Shortcut Keys.
  2. Shortcut keys allow you to use Text Mode, which fills Lorem Text.
  3. If you want to get Old Functionality back,
  4. You have to loose the Shortcuts efficiency for others ?

How is this a benefit ? How is this a good feature / enhancement.

Btw, say i use “T” and add lipsum text, Ill have to edit it back to add my text.

In short:

• Use New shortcut which takes more time for simple tasks (Text Label)
  • Use New shortcuts which are efficient for older tasks (Ellipse, Rectangle, etc)
  • Dont Use Any Shortcuts if you want to add Text objects with non-lipsum content…

What is needed is: Shortcuts, while being able to simply edit text of a widget while typing.

Sorry, doesn’t make sense, This is frustrating, please have the Product Team know. @Rachel

Hi SNaushadS,

There are shortcuts for the drawing tools (text, rectangle, etc) even if you decide not to use single-key shortcut mode.